When you purchase a vehicle, there is an abundance of additional information that must be noted to complete the total purchase with success. In fact, many tend to overlook the fact that they must proceed with registering and paying for vehicle taxes in addition to simply paying for the total cost of the car. That is particularly one of the reasons that make the DVLA such an important asset to those who have recently purchased a vehicle or those who are simply tossing the idea of making a purchase around.

It should be noted first and foremost, that when you buy a new vehicle, that the SORN or tax does not come with the total purchase of the vehicle itself. And perhaps most interestingly is that fact that you are required to tax the vehicle successfully prior to even being able to drive it. Including driving it off the dealer’s forecourt or even the home of a private seller. Additionally, you must have also selected to have purchased motor insurance prior to driving the vehicle on a public road.

If you have recently purchased a vehicle, getting it taxed is actually quite a simply standard procedure. To start, you will need one of the following two options, either a log book (V5C), if the vehicle is to be registered in your own name (be sure to utilize the 11-digit reference number). Or you can utilise the new keeper supplement slip (V5C/2). You can take advantage of this option, if you have recently purchased the vehicle or the vehicle is not to be registered in your name; in this case use the 12-digit reference number. It should also be noted that you cannot use the V11 tax reminder from the seller. There are even several simple ways to tax your newly purchased vehicle as well. You can tax the vehicle online via the DVLA website, you can visit your local post office or can even contact the DVLA phone number. Make note that if you live in Northern Ireland and are needing to tax your vehicle at your local area post office, you will need to provide them with a cover note or an insurance certificate.

If you are planning to sell or transfer the existing ownership for your current vehicle, be sure to keep in mind that the tax or SORN are not passed on, including if you give the vehicle away to a family member or friend. You must be sure to inform the DVLA if you do in fact sell or give away your vehicle, and they will send out a V5C logbook to the new owner, while you will receive a vehicle tax refund by cheque if any months remain.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the process of taxing a vehicle in the UK or Ireland be sure to visit the DVLA website for further information and details. Or to simply tax the vehicle quickly and easily online.